How to Block ATM Card: ATM cards or debit cards are one of the amazing things that we can see in the banking system. Since they have been introduced they are saving a lot of time of the people banking around the world. We can say that they have brought a revolution in the banking sector and without these cards, the banking might not be so easy as it is. Before these cards were introduced the scenario was completely different.
Just to withdraw the money from our bank account we had to go to the branch where we hold the bank account. I mean to say our home branch at which we had opened the account and maintain it. Not only visiting the home branch but we had to collect the withdrawal form and fill it accordingly.
The things are not yet over, after that we need to stand in the long queues of the bank and wait for our turn to come. But the days have changed now.
If you want to withdraw the money from your bank account then all you need to do is find an ATM center that is near to you and use your ATM or Debit card.
The things are that simple now.
But during the earlier days, we could use the ATM card only in that ATM center which is owned by our bank. But as the technology improved day by day now we can have access to our money in any ATM machine owned by any of the banks that are operating in India.
Do you think that these cards have only eased the way we withdraw the money from our bank accounts?
If you think so then you are wrong because nowadays you can deposit the money in your bank account 24×7 using the cash deposit machines and your ATM card. You can even make online payments to the merchants from whom you purchase products and services.
And if you are shopping offline in the stores and hate carrying too much solid money in your pockets then the card will help you. All you need to do is make the payment using the POS machine. (Point of Sale Machine)
- 0.1 How the ATM Card Works?
- 0.2 How Safe is ATM Card When Lost?
- 1 How to Block ATM Card?
How the ATM Card Works?
It is very simple to use the ATM card but when you look at the processes which go behind the screen of the machine then they are huge!
Basically, every ATM card which is issued by the bank is a unique one. Because just like we have a name for each of us the card has it too.
The card will be having its own 16 digit number, 4 digit pin number, CVV or Security code, expiration date. Let me explain to you these things before we proceed to the further part of this article and check out how to block ATM Card.
Front Side of ATM Card
- Bank Branding: The name of your bank will be mentioned in this part. For example, if you are a customer of State Bank of India, then you can see their logo or name written here.
- Card Number: The 16 Digits card number will be mentioned here.
- Cardholder’s Name: The name of the cardholder is nothing but the name of the account holder to which the card has been issued by the bank.
- Smart Chip: This chip can be seen in the latest ATM cards, all the details of the account and the card will be encoded in this card. It works just like the phone SIM card.
- Expiration Date: This is the date till which the ATM card is valid. After this date, the card will not be functioning.
- Payment Network: This is the name of the payment network.
Back Side of the ATM card
These are the 6 things which can be found on the front side of the ATM Card. We will be having few things at the back side too which are mentioned below.
- Magnetic Strip: This is the main part of the ATM Card and each and every detail about your card will be encoded in this magnetic strip.
- Hologram: This is a special hologram which will be added by your bank.
- Bank Contact Info: The phone number, email address and the website details of your bank will be mentioned.
- Signature Area: The cardholder has to sign in this place to make it valid.
- Security Code: This is a security detail which should be kept confidential and should not be shared with anyone.
- Network Logo: The logo of the payment network will be mentioned in this place.
If you wish to watch a Video on how it works you can do it below.
This was all about the ATM Card and the parts which we can see on the card. But what if you have lost your ATM card somewhere? How safe it is and how safe is your money which is in your bank account?
How Safe is ATM Card When Lost?
There is no doubt that these cards are life savers many times, when we are in urgent need of money then we can immediately find a center and withdraw the money.
But what if you have lost it somewhere? Is it safe for you and your money?
The answer is NO! it is not at all safe to when you lose your card somewhere. If you the card goes into wrong hands then the complete money which you have in your bank account will be at stake.
So now we know what one should do when they have lost their card, then need to contact their bank and tell them to block it. But how can someone get their card blocked? I will tell you how to block ATM Card in this article of mine.
I will be telling you the procedure which you can follow to block ATM Card of all the major banks that are operating in India. However, the process will not take much time but you should do it as soon as possible. There are multiple methods by which you can block ATM Card and they are mentioned below.
How to Block ATM Card?
Now let us check out how you can block ATM Card of different banks which are operating in India.
So this is how you can block ATM Card, I hope you are clear with all the details and the information that is mentioned in this guide. If you have any doubts in your mind then you can comment below.